MARK DOLAN, MD
Dr. Mark Dolan is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacement procedures. The Indiana native performs hundreds of these surgeries each year and completed a fellowship program at the world’s most prestigious orthopedic center, the Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College, at Cornell University in New York City. After practicing in Chicago and serving as part of the teaching faculty at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Dr. Dolan and his family decided to move to Oregon and join Hope Orthopedics. He was drawn not just by the natural beauty of Oregon, but by the high quality orthopedic care at Hope and the opportunity to provide expert care for patients with hip and knee problems throughout the Willamette Valley.
Dr. Dolan is a high volume, fellowship trained joint replacement surgeon. His practice is focused exclusively on hip and knee surgery and Dr. Dolan offers cutting edge techniques and treatments for a variety of hip and knee problems. In addition to performing minimally invasive hip and knee replacements, Dr. Dolan also performs a high number of complex revision hip and knee replacement surgeries for worn out or bothersome joint replacements. In addition, he helped launch Oregon’s largest outpatient joint replacement program at Willamette Surgery Center.
Dr. Dolan serves as medical director of the Salem Health Joint Replacement Center of Excellence. In this role, he has championed multiple quality improvement projects that have led to improved patient care and outcomes for all patients receiving hip and knee replacements in the Center of Excellence. These projects have ranged from efforts to decrease infections, improve pain control, decrease blood transfusions, and decrease length of stay. These behind the scene efforts will have an impact on your care and make for the best possible experience during your joint replacement surgery with Dr. Dolan.
“I believe I offer a compassionate, patient-centered approach to care,” he says. “I’m good at listening to my patients and explaining to them in words they can understand the various surgical and non-surgical options available to help get them back to a pain-free life and high level of functioning.”
When not working, Dr. Dolan is busy chasing his two toddler age children around Salem, visiting the natural wonders of Oregon, and skiing.
- Undergraduate: University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
Bachelor of Arts, Government/Pre-Professional
- Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Graduate Medical Education
- Residency: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship: Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York
Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Surgery, 2008-2009
Hip Preservation and Hip Arthroscopy with Drs. Robert L. Buly and Bryan T. Kelly, 2009
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Certified
- ABOS Part I written exam, passed 2008
- ABOS Part II oral exam, passed 2012
- Participating in MOC current
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2000-present
- American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 2014-present
Hospital Committees/Leadership Positions
- Medical Director, Joint Replacement Center of Excellence, Salem Health; 2014-present
- Section Chief, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Salem Health; 2014-2016
- Surgical Governance Committee, Salem Health; 2014-2016
- Quality Operations Committee, Salem Health; 2015-present
Honors and Awards
- The Lance Peters, MD, Memorial Biomechanics Award, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2012
- Excellence in Research Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 2011
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Notre Dame, 1999
- Big East Men’s Soccer All-Academic Team, 1995
- Big East Men’s Soccer Tournament Champions, 1995