JUSTIN BROHARD, DO
- Dr Brohard explained the X-rays and my condition so well. Very good bedside manner! - Stacey B. - 12/18/2022
- Highly recommended [Dr. Brohard] - Nathaniel P. - 11/22/2022
- Dr. Brohard spent time explaining my break and gave plenty of opportunities to ask questions. He ordered specific x-rays before he even saw me to determine the best course of treatment. Thank you Dr. Brohard! - Lindsay C. - 11/20/2022
- Very happy with the amount of time and information that Dr. Brohard provided me. - Patricia M. - 9/23/2022
Dr. Brohard grew up in Decatur, IL and initially pursued a career in mechanical engineering, starting college at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Along the way, he felt a lack of fulfilment with this career path, and after shadowing various doctors, inspired by his mother who is a nurse, he shifted his focus to a career in medicine. In particular, working with a local orthopedic surgeon, and seeing the direct impact a surgeon can have on the life of a patient, he set his sights on becoming a surgeon. The mechanical aspect of this field, combined with the challenging hands-on nature, were well suited for his interests and previously developed mechanical skills.
He then attended Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Pomona, CA where he completed his medical school training and received a DO degree. He stayed an extra year to complete a teaching fellowship with the medical school. During this fellowship he had the opportunity to teach at the medical school campus for WesternU COMP-NW in Lebanon, OR, which is when his interest in Oregon first developed. This led him to complete his five-year orthopedic surgery residency in Corvallis, OR at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, where he also spent several months at various hospitals in the Portland area for some training. Upon completion of residency he chose to pursue additional specialty training in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery at University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, WA.
This fellowship training gave Dr. Brohard a surgical and clinical skillset to handle all sorts of foot and ankle orthopedic issues, along with general orthopedics and trauma. His interests are mostly in complex pathology and deformity of the lower extremity including trauma, arthritis, and various other issues. He is prepared for management of this issues with various techniques including open reconstruction, minimally invasive techniques, ringed external fixation, and primary and revision ankle arthroplasty including the use of custom patient specific implants. He welcomes all patients with foot and ankle complaints, and is excited to care for the community in and around Salem.
In his free time, Dr. Brohard enjoys spending time with his wife Dawn, a pediatric physical therapist, and their many animals. Together they enjoy the outdoors through hiking, trail running, camping, backpacking, water/snow sports, and a variety of other outdoor activities. He enjoys physical challenges and endurance sports including cycling, running, and triathlons. He also enjoys spending time working on cars, bikes, and anything mechanical.
- Undergraduate: Millikin University, Decatur, IL
- Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences COMP, Pomona, CA
Graduate Medical Education
- Residency: Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
- Fellowship: University of Washington, Harborview, Seattle, WA