JUSTIN BROHARD, DO
- Dr. Brohard and his medical student were just phenomenal. They spent time with me, investigated my injury, and explained thoroughly what the next steps are in healing. He was truly awesome. I look forward to seeing him again. Highly recommended! - Sunny B. - 7/24/2023read more
- Thorough X-rays and explanations. [Dr. Brohard]
- Stephanie S. - 7/22/2023read more
- Easy, quick, quality care! [Dr. Brohard] - Alexis M. - 7/14/2023read more
- Dr. Brohard and his staff took great care of me after I arrived with a dislocated and broken ankle. They were easy to talk with, caring, compassionate and thorough, leaving me with no doubts about my care in their hands. - Ann S. - 7/13/2023read more
- I injured my ankle and went to Urgent Care where I was treated and advised to follow up by contacting Hope Orthopedic. I called the next morning and they got me in within hours! Dr. Brohard did additional X-rays, examined my foot, explained my injury (I’d never had a broken bone before!), asked questions to get an idea of my lifestyle and MY needs, and gave his assessment and recommendations. He answered all my questions and was very patient with me. It was a good experience. - Shari S. - 7/13/2023read more
Dr. Brohard grew up in Decatur, IL and initially pursued a career in mechanical engineering, starting college at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Along the way, he felt a lack of fulfilment with this career path, and after shadowing various doctors, inspired by his mother who is a nurse, he shifted his focus to a career in medicine. In particular, working with a local orthopedic surgeon, and seeing the direct impact a surgeon can have on the life of a patient, he set his sights on becoming a surgeon. The mechanical aspect of this field, combined with the challenging hands-on nature, were well suited for his interests and previously developed mechanical skills.
He then attended Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Pomona, CA where he completed his medical school training and received a DO degree. He stayed an extra year to complete a teaching fellowship with the medical school. During this fellowship he had the opportunity to teach at the medical school campus for WesternU COMP-NW in Lebanon, OR, which is when his interest in Oregon first developed. This led him to complete his five-year orthopedic surgery residency in Corvallis, OR at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, where he also spent several months at various hospitals in the Portland area for some training. Upon completion of residency he chose to pursue additional specialty training in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery at University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, WA.
This fellowship training gave Dr. Brohard a surgical and clinical skillset to handle all sorts of foot and ankle orthopedic issues, along with general orthopedics and trauma. His interests are mostly in complex pathology and deformity of the lower extremity including trauma, arthritis, and various other issues. He is prepared for management of this issues with various techniques including open reconstruction, minimally invasive techniques, ringed external fixation, and primary and revision ankle arthroplasty including the use of custom patient specific implants. He welcomes all patients with foot and ankle complaints, and is excited to care for the community in and around Salem.
In his free time, Dr. Brohard enjoys spending time with his wife Dawn, a pediatric physical therapist, and their many animals. Together they enjoy the outdoors through hiking, trail running, camping, backpacking, water/snow sports, and a variety of other outdoor activities. He enjoys physical challenges and endurance sports including cycling, running, and triathlons. He also enjoys spending time working on cars, bikes, and anything mechanical.
- Undergraduate: Millikin University, Decatur, IL
- Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences COMP, Pomona, CA
Graduate Medical Education
- Residency: Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
- Fellowship: University of Washington, Harborview, Seattle, WA