AARON KARLEN, MD
Dr. Karlen specializes in the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Trigger Finger
- Thumb and Finger Arthritis
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
Dr. Karlen is a great doctor with a good sense of humor and sense of his patients. I felt cared for, listened to, and respected as a patient. Looking forward to future work done by Dr. Karlen. - Joslynn W. - 2/24/2021
Thank you Dr.Karlen for being so nice when I went to get my cast. I was very nervous but you made me feel at ease. - Eva A. - 2/19/2021
I broke my hand and needed surgery. I was impressed with the very careful check in and the friendliness of staff. Dr. Karlen provided me with all the information for all my options in an understandable manner for a non-doctor! The surgery went well and I am pleased with the results. Thank you! - Gigi M. - 2/05/2021
If you have a hand issue, Dr. Karlen can't be beat. He's got a great "bedside" manner & does everything he can to make you comfortable with your procedure. - Adele C. - 1/30/2021
Dr Karlen is very personable while remaining exceedingly Professional. Anyone with hand issues should certainly contact him! - Pam G. - 1/18/2021
Growing up in Seattle and Hawaii, Dr. Karlen attended high school in Hawaii, and college at University of Washington with a year in Scotland where he graduated with a BA and BS.
He then returned to Hawaii for Law School and graduated with his JD, summa cum laude. From there he continued on to Medical School in Hawaii and graduated with his MD and membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society - where he received honors for every grade and was tied with two other classmates for best marks possible.
Dr. Karlen completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities and then his plastics and orthopedic surgery hand fellowship at Baylor in Houston.
Dr. Karlen's wife is from Keizer, and went to McNary High School and then on to Linfield for college, before she went to Hawaii for medical school. She is an emergency medicine physician and will be working with SEPS at Salem Hospital. Together, Dr. Karlen and his wife have a dog (Lab Retriever named Kai) and two rescue cats (Mochi and Koa).
Dr. Karlen's hobbies include hiking, camping, and sports (especially Soccer and Baseball).
- Undergraduate: University of Washington
- Graduate: University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Medical School: University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Minnesota
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine Integrated Plastic/Orthopaedic Hand Surgery
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2008 - Salutatorian of Law School Class
- 2007 - Hiroaki Kono Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Karlen AI, Clark JJ, Wong LL: Two cases of partial hepatectomy for malignant melanoma. Hawaii J Med Public Health; 2012 Apr;71(4):92-6
- Karlen AI, Solberg EJ, Quanbeck DS, Van Heest AE: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Rotations and Correlation with Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Performance. J Surg Educ; 2018 Feb; epub ahead of print.