AARON KARLEN, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Karlen specializes in the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Trigger Finger
- Thumb and Finger Arthritis
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
The facility is clean the staff is very helpful and kind and extremely pleasant the doctors are very nice they r kind n understanding to your needs I would recommend the hope center to everyone and I like doctor Karlen has a great beside manner also he understand what happening to u n he doesn’t try to talk beneath u - Migdalia S. - 4/19/2021
I just love Dr karlen he is very caring about his patients an he lets you know up front what you need done no surprises he is amazing - Donna H. - 4/13/2021
Everyone is friendly and [Dr. Karlen] is wonderful. He was for both of my boys. Truly appreciated. - Kristi F. - 4/06/2021
Absolutely the best doctor [Dr. Karlen] and staff I have ever dealt with. They do everything possible to make you feel comfortable, even when you have a complexing issue and feel like a nuisance. - Andrew W. - 3/19/2021
Never had surgery before and I was worried. Dr Karlen put my mind at ease and I felt confident with the procedure and it with off without a hitch. I would recommend him to anyone. I'm thankful he was my Doctor. - Tobias L. - 3/09/2021
Growing up in Seattle and Hawaii, Dr. Karlen attended high school in Hawaii and college at the University of Washington, with a year in Scotland where he graduated with a BA and BS.
He then returned to Hawaii for law school and graduated with his JD, summa cum laude. From there he continued on to medical school in Hawaii and graduated with his MD and membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society - where he received honors for every grade and was tied with two other classmates for best marks possible.
Dr. Karlen completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities and then his plastics and orthopedic surgery hand fellowship at Baylor in Houston.
Dr. Karlen's wife is from Keizer and is an alumni of McNary High School and Linfield University. She is an emergency medicine physician at Salem Hospital. Together, Dr. Karlen and his wife have two children, a Lab Retriever named Kai, and two rescue cats (Mochi and Koa).
Dr. Karlen's hobbies include hiking, camping, and sports (especially soccer and baseball).
- Undergraduate: University of Washington
- Graduate: University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Medical School: University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Minnesota
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine Integrated Plastic/Orthopaedic Hand Surgery
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2008 - Salutatorian of Law School Class
- 2007 - Hiroaki Kono Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Karlen AI, Clark JJ, Wong LL: Two cases of partial hepatectomy for malignant melanoma. Hawaii J Med Public Health; 2012 Apr;71(4):92-6
- Karlen AI, Solberg EJ, Quanbeck DS, Van Heest AE: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Rotations and Correlation with Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Performance. J Surg Educ; 2018 Feb; epub ahead of print.