AARON KARLEN, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Karlen specializes in the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Trigger Finger
- Thumb and Finger Arthritis
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
This is my 2nd surgery With the doctors [Dr. Karlen] from Hope Orthopedics, My 1st Surgery went so fast and easy I was on my way home before I even knew it. I would recommend surgery by Hope [Orthopedics] to anyone. - James F. - 1/21/2022
The doctor [Dr. Karlen] was great very polite and respectful. - Elvia G. - 1/21/2022
Very little wait time to be seen. Dr. Karlen was confident and knowledgeable about my diagnosis. And explained everything about the procedure I was there to have done. - Sandy E. - 11/28/2021
I have received excellent care here. Surgery appears to have gone well and my PT has started.Dr. Karlen has good communication skills and I feel safe in his care. The staff member who removed my stitches was careful and got right to work. The staff member who put my arm brace on was kind and gentle. I was a bit... read more - Alicia L. - 11/09/2021
Dr. Karlen is fabulous. My husband & my daughter & I are all his patients.
- Pat M. - 8/21/2021
Growing up in Seattle and Hawaii, Dr. Karlen attended high school in Hawaii and college at the University of Washington, with a year in Scotland where he graduated with a BA and BS.
He then returned to Hawaii for law school and graduated with his JD, summa cum laude. From there he continued on to medical school in Hawaii and graduated with his MD and membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society - where he received honors for every grade and was tied with two other classmates for best marks possible.
Dr. Karlen completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities and then his plastics and orthopedic surgery hand fellowship at Baylor in Houston.
Dr. Karlen's wife is from Keizer and is an alumni of McNary High School and Linfield University. She is an emergency medicine physician at Salem Hospital. Together, Dr. Karlen and his wife have two children, a Lab Retriever named Kai, and two rescue cats (Mochi and Koa).
Dr. Karlen's hobbies include hiking, camping, and sports (especially soccer and baseball).
- Undergraduate: University of Washington
- Graduate: University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Medical School: University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Minnesota
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine Integrated Plastic/Orthopaedic Hand Surgery
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2008 - Salutatorian of Law School Class
- 2007 - Hiroaki Kono Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Karlen AI, Clark JJ, Wong LL: Two cases of partial hepatectomy for malignant melanoma. Hawaii J Med Public Health; 2012 Apr;71(4):92-6
- Karlen AI, Solberg EJ, Quanbeck DS, Van Heest AE: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Rotations and Correlation with Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Performance. J Surg Educ; 2018 Feb; epub ahead of print.