AARON KARLEN, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Karlen specializes in the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Trigger Finger
- Thumb and Finger Arthritis
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
Dr. Karlen is fabulous. My husband & my daughter & I are all his patients.
- Pat M. - 8/21/2021
I had an amazing experience with Dr Karlen and his staff. He’s very personable and honest about what the surgery will entail and treatment after. He took the stress and worry of having surgery off my shoulders and made me feel very at ease with it. I highly recommend him for any orthopedic surgery. - Chris V. - 8/18/2021
I had fallen and smashed my wrist in April 2021...both bones broken and the wrist joint itself in bad shape. I was sent to Hope Orthopedic to get set for surgery. At that point...prior to the surgery, I thought I would never have full functionality of my wrist back and I was devastated. Even though I am in my 50's... read more - Jackie L. - 7/28/2021
Doctor Karlen is an amazing surgeon. He has expertly and flawlessly performed both of my carpal tunnel release surgeries. The outcome was so much better than I could have hoped for, especially considering how long I waited to get the procedures completed. I would highly recommend him with absolutely no reservations.
- Rick R. - 7/13/2021
Outstanding surgeon. Dr. Karlen did an awesome job on my broken wrist and am very happy with the outcome. He indicated my break was in his top 5% worst he's seen. For some reason I didn't get a medal but his office and surgery skills are fantastic. Thank you Dr. Karlen for your service. - John K. - 6/27/2021
Growing up in Seattle and Hawaii, Dr. Karlen attended high school in Hawaii and college at the University of Washington, with a year in Scotland where he graduated with a BA and BS.
He then returned to Hawaii for law school and graduated with his JD, summa cum laude. From there he continued on to medical school in Hawaii and graduated with his MD and membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society - where he received honors for every grade and was tied with two other classmates for best marks possible.
Dr. Karlen completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities and then his plastics and orthopedic surgery hand fellowship at Baylor in Houston.
Dr. Karlen's wife is from Keizer and is an alumni of McNary High School and Linfield University. She is an emergency medicine physician at Salem Hospital. Together, Dr. Karlen and his wife have two children, a Lab Retriever named Kai, and two rescue cats (Mochi and Koa).
Dr. Karlen's hobbies include hiking, camping, and sports (especially soccer and baseball).
- Undergraduate: University of Washington
- Graduate: University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Medical School: University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Minnesota
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine Integrated Plastic/Orthopaedic Hand Surgery
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2008 - Salutatorian of Law School Class
- 2007 - Hiroaki Kono Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Karlen AI, Clark JJ, Wong LL: Two cases of partial hepatectomy for malignant melanoma. Hawaii J Med Public Health; 2012 Apr;71(4):92-6
- Karlen AI, Solberg EJ, Quanbeck DS, Van Heest AE: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Rotations and Correlation with Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Performance. J Surg Educ; 2018 Feb; epub ahead of print.