AARON KARLEN, MD
Dr. Karlen specializes in the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Trigger Finger
- Thumb and Finger Arthritis
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
Dr. Karlen and his staff are fabulous. If you do anything stupid to your hand/wrist, just tell whoever that you want a referral to him. Yay for a doctor that can talk like a human and have a sense of humor. The office staff is also very friendly and personable. Thanks! - Lisa L. - 1/14/2020
I don’t see how a person could be in better hands than Dr. Karlens. - Scott H. - 8/09/2019
Dr. Karlen did the impossible. I have a full hand now thanks to him. - Anonymous - 7/02/2019
I absolutely recommend Hope orthopedic! They did an excellent job with alignment of my finger. I got great and quick care! 10 out of 10! Dr. Karlen and his staff were clear and did an excellent job at explaining Thoroughly my procedure! I have nothing bad to say about Hope! My aftercare was fantastic as well! - Delrene H. - 4/16/2019
Growing up in Seattle and Hawaii, Dr. Karlen attended high school in Hawaii, and college at University of Washington with a year in Scotland where he graduated with a BA and BS.
He then returned to Hawaii for Law School and graduated with his JD, summa cum laude. From there he continued on to Medical School in Hawaii and graduated with his MD and membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society - where he received honors for every grade and was tied with two other classmates for best marks possible.
Dr. Karlen completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities and then his plastics and orthopedic surgery hand fellowship at Baylor in Houston.
Dr. Karlen's wife is from Keizer, and went to McNary High School and then on to Linfield for college, before she went to Hawaii for medical school. She is an emergency medicine physician and will be working with SEPS at Salem Hospital. Together, Dr. Karlen and his wife have a dog (Lab Retriever named Kai) and two rescue cats (Mochi and Koa).
Dr. Karlen's hobbies include hiking, camping, and sports (especially Soccer and Baseball).
- Undergraduate: University of Washigton
- Graduate: University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Medical School: University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Minnesota
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine Integrated Plastic/Orthopaedic Hand Surgery
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2008 - Salutatorian of Law School Class
- 2007 - Hiroaki Kono Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Karlen AI, Clark JJ, Wong LL: Two cases of partial hepatectomy for malignant melanoma. Hawaii J Med Public Health; 2012 Apr;71(4):92-6
- Karlen AI, Solberg EJ, Quanbeck DS, Van Heest AE: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Rotations and Correlation with Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Performance. J Surg Educ; 2018 Feb; epub ahead of print.